Night Sky and Star Photography Workshop
January 24-25, 2020 – SOLD OUT
Additional dates may be added, check back or email us if interested.
This is a great opportunity to learn about night sky photography, and to come away with some cool images at the same time. Minimum of 2 participants needed for workshop to go. Workshop is limited to just 4 participants.
ABOUT THE WORKSHOP
I am limiting this workshop to just 4 participants. This allows me time to work with each photographer individually when in the field. The workshop will start in the late afternoon at Desert Photo Retreat where we will go over the techniques and strategies for capturing the night stars. We will cover everything from the gear I use, along with phone apps, to camera settings. We will prepare our cameras and fine tune our focus and scout locations.
Since we will be in such a beautiful setting, we will photograph the sunset before taking a break for a home cooked dinner. This will give the sky a chance to darken enough for us to begin photographing.
We will photograph a few different settings, and will do some light painting on some of our majestic saguaro cactus. Finally we will setup in our final location for an extended period of time in order to capture a scene with star trails.
Since we could be up pretty late, we won’t try to capture the sunrise. We will reconvene at 9 a.m. for a couple more hours where I will show you how to process your images in Lightroom and Photoshop, and I’ll walk through the steps on assembling a final star trail image. By all mean, bring your laptop along so that you can follow along.
Payment is due in full at time of registration
Payment may be made by check or credit card. We accept Visa, MasterCard and American Express. Checks should be made payable to Niebrugge Images, LLC and mailed to Ron Niebrugge, PO Box 1337, Seward, AK 99664
No refunds will be made for cancellations. All payments to Niebrugge Images, LLC are non-refundable unless the workshop sells out and we are able to fill your spot. If the workshop is sold out and your spot is filled we will refund any payment paid to Niebrugge Images, LLC less a $50.00 processing fee.
WHAT TO BRING
- DSLR camera
- Shutter release / intervalometer (might be built into our camera)
- Headlamp with a red light
- Your fastest wide angle lens. The maximum aperture should be at least a f/2.8 and preferably faster. You can buy or rent a manual focus Rokinon 24mm 1.4 or 14 mm These are great lenses for night work, and at night autofocus isn’t an option, so a manual lens if perfect.
- Laptop for morning session.
- Pluto Trigger - this is not necessary but a huge benefit. Last year every participant in the group bought one afterwards because it makes doing night photography so much easier. I will be teaching you how to use this as part of the workshop. Here is a link where you may buy one on-line: Pluto Trigger.
I will be providing much more detail to those who sign up, but if you have questions about your existing gear, please let me know.
- Instruction by Ron
- Access to Desert Photo Retreat Facilities
- Dinner January 24, 2020
WHAT'S NOT INCLUDED
- Transportation to/from Property
- Lodging (we will provide recommendations)
- Breakfast on January 25th.