Night Sky Photo Workshop
We will be offering Night Sky Photography Workshops starting in 2019.
- Dates to be announced soon!
I call this a workshop because I will be concentrating on teaching and won’t be photographing myself.
I also call this a tour because I will be putting us in the best places at the best times. I have scouted the area and found the best opportunities for interesting foreground elements.
We will concentrate on night sky photography.
I emphasize teaching in this workshop and I will be available for any questions that may arise. I will tailor the instruction to the ability of the group. With 5 guests, it won’t be the one on one individual attention that you would receive from a private tour, but it is small enough for plenty of individual interaction. Here are some of the topics I intend to cover.
- Composition and the creative aspects of photography – this is the most important!
- Light-the direction, quality and advantages of different light.
- Exposure, histograms, metering methods and when to use aperture priority, shutter priority or full manual.
- Focus-manual, servo and one-shot and hyper focus distance.
- I will demonstrate tripod and ballhead use, along with various camera plates and even specialized panoramic heads.
- Lenses. I will have with me and can demonstrate and discuss the advantages of a variety of lenses including tilt/shift, fish eye, macro and telephotos.
- Use of reflectors and diffusers-especially valuable for daytime wildflower close-ups.
- Filter use- polarizer and graduated neutral density filters along with discussions on the trade offs between filters and digital tools such as HDR. I will also discuss my techniques for capturing images to be used for HDR and panoramics.
- Camera feature usage, mirror lockup, Live View self timer, etc.
What gear do I need? A 35mm style digital camera with a normal to wide-angle lens is a must. A tripod, a close focusing or macro lens, and a small reflector diffuser or two would be very valuable and would add to your overall experience.
What do I need to know? A working understanding of the relationship between ISO, shutter speed and aperture would be very helpful. I can review these things and will talk about how I utilize these settings depending on the situation. Prior knowledge of these concepts will help you get more out of the workshop. In addition, you should have a working understanding of your camera and I would suggest bringing along your manual. While I have worked with many cameras, I do not know how to work them all.
- Guiding and instruction.
- Weather permitting, dinner Saturday night.
What’s not included
- Transporation to/from Desert Photo Retreat
- Transportation during workshop (we will carpool to minimize our impact)
- Meals or Lodging (Note: there are a number of hotels in Marana. More information will be provided upon registration.
Days 2: Will begin before sunrise and will wrap up around 11:00 a.m.
“Ron, your workshop exceeded all of our expectations and I really appreciate the time you took to answer my questions. The extra time you took with me to look through the viewfinder to get the right composition as well as the many tips you provided to help us all understand how you get many of your amazing photos was greatly appreciated” Rick
“Thank you for a great workshop Ron – your tips for composition were great and it was wonderful that you had done the scouting for the best locations for us to take photographs so we could just show up and put our tripods in place” Samantha
“I had a great time and hope to take another one of your classes again in the future.” Bret
“Ron thanks, I had a great time. You did a really good job leading the group and I hope to see you on several more of these in the future.” Bob
“Add my vote for Ron as a wonderful photo tour guide! After joining Ron in Anza-Borrego this spring, I am trying to figure out when I can coordinate my next trip.”
Payment in full is due at the time of registration.
Payment may be made by check or credit card. We accept Visa, MasterCard and American Express. Checks should be made payable to Niebrugge Images, LLC and mailed to PO Box 1337, Seward, AK 99664.
No refunds will be made for cancellations. All payments to Niebrugge Images, LLC are non-refundable unless the workshop sells out and we are able to fill your spot. If the workshop is sold out and your spot is filled, we will refund any payment or deposits paid to Niebrugge Images, LLC less a $75.00 processing fee.